Tuesday, October 23, 2007

i amuse myself


We live at the end of a water main (we think) and occasionally our water turns a little yellow. Nothing to worry about, according to the water department, and it usually clears up in a couple of minutes. Well, today was a different story. Right after Mike left for work, all water promptly turned brown. Very dark brown. I could make the obvious comparison, but we'll suffice it to say that it freaked poor Liam out so much that I fear his potty training will be set back.

On the way home from story time, we saw a hydrant spewing forth about a block from our house, with a crew from the water department on hand. Though it's not something I would normally do, I pulled over, left the boys in the car for a minute, and went over to talk to them. Apparently they're doing some sort of flushing of the lines, and the water will be brown at least until tomorrow. The guys were really nice, and gave me three bottles of some sort of toxic substance that can be used to clean the toilets and fixtures, and put in with the laundry so that it doesn't get discolored. They had vast quantities of this stuff in their truck. Probably they hand these little bottles out like candy at a parade. A sick brown water parade. There's an obvious "float" joke to be had there too, but I'm just too classy for that.

In a way it's nice -- no laundry, no dishes. In another way it's horrifying -- no bathing, no brushing teeth, no drinking or cooking water. They didn't expressly prohibit using the water, but I've gotta tell ya, water that instantly stains porcelain and discolors laundry is not water that I want anywhere near my family's bodies. So just in case I fall asleep before Mike gets home tonight, I made some warning signs and placed them strategically around the house. My Mr. Yuck portraits in particular make me giggle -- who says I didn't inherit any of my mom's artistic talent?

No comments: