Tuesday, July 29, 2008

sorry for the delay


Yes, we've been doing stuff; I've just been too busy to post about it. Take last weekend, for example. Saturday morning, the boys and I picked up my mom and headed to the Bass Lake Festival. You're right, it's the summer of festivals for these kids! It won't make me sad if I don't spend another dollar on bouncy houses or tiny train rides for the rest of the summer. On the plus side, it's something fun to do, and the boys really love the rides.



So what set the Bass Lake Festival apart from the many other festivals we've been to in the last few weeks? For one thing, it had a whole section of kiddie rides. When we got there, the rides weren't crowded at all, so Liam and Max were at the head of each line. The kiddie section also included a miniature Ferris wheel, which really made Liam's day. He's still a little scared of the full-size version, so this one was right up his alley. It wasn't all sunshine and roses for Max, though. The Ferris wheel had a big sign up that said you had to be four to ride, so poor Max had to stand and watch Liam ride. He wouldn't be consoled with any other ride; instead, he just stood there mournfully making comments about how much he would like to ride on it too.


And there was something special for the grown-ups, too: yard sales. There were tons of them, and cars crammed along both sides of the streets so that you could hardly get through. Which was okay, considering that traffic was at an absolute crawl so the gawkers could get a good look and decide which sales to stop for. We only stopped for one, but it was a good one. Mom and I were both drawn in by a dresser we could see from the street. The dresser turned out to be too far gone for my amateur refinishing skills, but I found a spectacular Danish modern table with six chairs. The chairs need to be re-covered, and the tabletop refinished, but otherwise it's in great shape. Mom found an antique rocking chair and a couple of other things. I also found an old globe for Mike. Luckily, my brother was available to drive over and pick all this stuff up in his truck and haul it to my house.


In related news, I've got tables coming out my ears now! Everywhere I go, I seem to find deals that are too good to pass up on tables. I've got two drop-leafs (one in need of work), a work table, and this new Danish modern table. It's becoming apparent that I'm starting a collection for only the second time in my life. (The first being my dishes, but really, is something you eat from every day really considered to be a collection? I guess maybe it is the way I do it.) The moral of the story is, if you find yourself in need of a new table, come talk to me before you shop.

No comments: