Tuesday, August 05, 2008

hair of the dog (or: at least someone started the work week off on the right foot)


Sunday, I hosted a brunch baby shower for my cousin Amelia. Good times were had by all, and the mom-to-be is now hopefully all set up with the things she'll need to welcome her baby girl later this month. We all enjoyed plenty of good food and beverages, which is what this story is really about.

Early Sunday morning, I hit the grocery store to get food for the shower -- just my contribution; thanks to all the other relatives who brought tasty dishes! On my list was juice for mimosas, so I decided to do something a little different, and picked up some pomegranate-blueberry juice. Just before the party started, I was still running around doing all the last-minute things people do before parties, so my mom mixed up the pitcher of mimosas. They were delicious! A very different taste from the ordinary mimosa.

Fast-forward to Monday morning, when I got up and started my day. I heated up some leftover quiche for breakfast. When I got it out of the fridge, I noticed that we still had half a jug of pomegranate-blueberry juice left. Hmm, I thought, that juice will be just the thing to round off my breakfast. So I poured a big glass of it. I was really thirsty, so I gulped most of it down right away. And then...I noticed two things simultaneously:

1. The juice had suspicious carbonation bubbles.
2. My head was spinning.

Texted my mom right away for verification purposes, and yes, it turns out that she just poured the other half of the bottle of champagne in with the juice to conserve space. I (inadvertently) started her work week off on the right foot by giving her (and my grandpa, and probably any customers who happened to wander into the store) a good laugh at my inebriated state. Glad I could help, Mom.

No comments: