Wednesday, August 13, 2008

on the be-cuter

Language is a funny thing (and I should know). For example, during our car ride tonight, Liam told me about a conversation they had at school today, in which the students discussed what their parents do for a living. I'm pretty sure that Liam doesn't know where Mike works (which is okay), but he piped up right away with, "My mom works on the be-cuter!" (For all of you who aren't quite fluent in Liamese, that's "computer.") From his carseat, Max chimed in, "Yeah! On the be-cuter!" like he was daring me to contradict him.

Then we passed the elementary school. The boys had their customary argument (Max: "That's going to be MY school." Liam: "No, Max, it's going to be MY school!" and so on until one of them starts crying) and then Liam told me a story: "Mom, I heard the teachers talking, and they said that school is a free school."

Thinking they might have meant "free" as in "not a costly private school," I asked, "Liam, did they say 'free school' or 'preschool'?"

"I just told you, Mom, it's a freeze school. It is always cold in there! Except that sometimes, in the summer, the sun comes out and warms it up just a little bit. But mostly it's just cold."

Then Max jumped into the conversation. "Look, Mommy, I see the Corn House! Mommy, it's the Corn House! The Corn House!" Not, it wasn't this place. It was this place.

2 comments:

Lucky1304 said...

That's a cute story to start my day with!!

I think if asked, Ella would say that I "make books" for my job. She also knows that Dean is a librarian, but that's a pretty easy one. I'm not sure what Sadie would say. I may have to ask her.

Holli said...

Now that I think about it, Liam might say that Mike "makes tires" if I asked him. I should try that.