Wednesday, December 28, 2011

10 great things about 2011

I could give you a warts-and-all recap of the year, but since I'm such a blithesome optimist (can you hear my mom making gagging noises from where you are?), I'm going to just hit the highlights, in no particular order.

1. I learned how to say no.
This is actually pretty huge. I've been at this freelance business for almost five years now, and until late this year, I just couldn't say no to a job, no matter how impossible the deadline. But behold! There's a new me, one who will actually tell clients when I don't have time (or don't want to give up time with the boys) to do a job. My uncle Kent tells me this gets both easier and more fun (he's a lawyer, and he turns people down with abandon).

2. Liam and Max learned the value of a dollar.
We bought each of them a DS a couple of years ago, but now there's a new game system in town: the 3DS. So we told them that this time they're on their own if they want to buy the shiny new 3DS (and who are we kidding? of course they do). They have been saving for months now, and they are finally within striking distance. It's down to the last $13 for each of them. They earn money by doing chores around the house, and they have also been saving their birthday/Christmas money. I'm tempted to just kick in the last bit myself, but I won't, because they are so proud of themselves for having the discipline to get to this point. I can't wait until they finally reach their goal!


3. Henry's not a baby anymore.
There are lots of good things about babies: They smell nice, they coo, and they come in a handy portable size (just for example). But he's much more interactive now. He talks all the time, and he figures things out by himself. In the mornings, he wakes up and comes downstairs to climb into bed with us instead of crying until I trudge up the stairs to get him. He's stubborn, and fearless, and he has such a big personality for such a little person. Now we just need to work on his little potty mouth...


4. Mike and I are past the seven-year itch.
I wasn't really worried about the seven-year itch thing, but I do think it's a great thing that with every year that passes, Mike and I are even happier to have found each other than we were the year before. I keep thinking that we're going to reach critical mass one of these days, but it hasn't happened yet.

5. I went to the movies!
Hey, this would be a big deal to you too if the last movie you saw in its theatrical release was Horton Hears a Who ... three years ago! On Christmas, after the festivities at my grandpa's house, various family members took up two rows at our local cineplex to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I am perpetually tired, so I worried that I would fall asleep and snore or drool or something, but I needn't have worried: The movie was more than exciting enough (and pretty true to the book!) to keep me awake. Oh! And I also have plans already to see each of the Hunger Games movies with my friend Valerie. The first one comes out in March, and I can't wait!

6. Reading is fundamental fun awesome.
Liam reads (almost!) as much as I did at his age, and even though he is still a beginner, Max is really having fun with reading too. And since I want to see the publishing industry not die, we have more than our fair share of books around here. They're piled up in every room, and while that can be a pain from a cleaning standpoint, I don't really care. What's important to me is that so far we've managed to produce two big readers, and hopes are high for Henry, who finally has the patience and interest to sit through me reading a whole book to him.


7. Nobody got surgery.
Nobody even went to the emergency room (though I guess there's still time). I love it when we are all healthy.

8. We hit the road.
The big vacation to Niagara Falls was incredible, but what really sticks out to me are the day trips we've taken this year. We went to Elkhart to ice skate and hang out with cousin Amelia. We spent a day at the Planetarium, and several at the zoo. We went to Michigan to Barb and Kevin's cottage. We did an overnight in Naperville and explored the Arboretum. Max and I went to the Mag Mile and Millennium Park. Small-town life is great in a lot of really important ways, but it's kind of a lifesaver that we're within striking distance of so many interesting places to explore. And honestly, even though I am a completely anal planner by nature, the best times we've had have been when we woke up in the morning, decided on a destination, and just went. I am already working on my list of day trips for 2012!

9. Charlie's not so bad after all.
Way back when we took Charlie to dog school, the teacher told us that as a puppy, Charlie would drive us crazy. By the time he was a year old, we would think he was all right. By the time he was two, we would think he was pretty cool. And by the time he was three, we would think he was the best dog in the world. And so far, her assessment has been spot on. Charlie is almost two now, and he is turning into a pretty good dog. And this year, as a gift to us all (just in time for Christmas!) we got a new fence, which has opened up a whole new world where we can just open up the door and let him run free without worry.


10. You are swell.
Posting has been kind of light this year because work has been so heavy. But it's nice to know that there are still people out there keeping up with our lives. I always say that this blog is my love letter/baby book for the boys, but the truth is that it's as much for me as it is for them. And I hope it's half as much fun for you to read as it is for me to write. So thanks for sticking with us, and stay tuned for more exciting adventures!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your life with me--I miss talking to you everyday. But I look forward to each and every post.

Debbie A-H