Saturday, August 11, 2007

part 4 of our ongoing series "the evolution of a house"

We're too tired to dance a jig, but we're doing it on the inside. At last, the dining room is finished! I'll do the before and after pictures below. You might have noticed that there's not a single picture to be found on our walls yet, and you'd be right. We're just not sure where everything should go, so we're taking our time to figure it out. Also, we've worked so hard patching up these walls that we don't want to put any more holes in them than absolutely necessary.

Anyway, the dining room. To say it's a big change might be understating the case. Here's what it looked like the day we decided to buy the house. Note the lime green paint job, the white wainscoting, and the weird plaid valances. No actual curtains, which is very strange to me because that window is right at the road.



And now, here's the dining room today. A lovely rose color on the walls -- my grandpa tells me it's the same shade my great-grandmother had in her dining room. I guess I must have remembered that somehow. I never thought of it, but as soon as he made the comment, it clicked in my head. We've restored the wainscoting to its natural wood glory, and put patterned sheer curtains in the windows. We (or more likely, my mom) may end up hemming those so they stay in the window frame to show off more of the wood, but we'll see. Also, check out the great cabinet we picked up at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago.



2 comments:

Miss Val said...

You have a LOVELY dining room! The wainscotting and trim is gorgeous, and looks complete with the table, chairs, and china cabinet. The rose color is perfect with the wood stain. Personally I like the curtains long.

As one who as been following the story of the 300 (or 394 counting do-overs) boards, I must say, congratulations! Pause in all your home improvements and just sit at the table and enjoy that room. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Wish I could have helped with more of the boards. Unless, of course, the do-overs were the ones I helped with. lol.