Thursday, August 03, 2023

jeffirspalooza 2023


If you know one thing about me, it's probably that I love Legos/Fiesta/blow molds. But if you know two things about me, the second thing just might be that as much as I love those things, I absolutely hate group photos and matching T-shirts. And those two components feature prominently in my family's annual summer party. If I'm honest, the matching shirts and mandatory group photo really make me consider staying home every year. But then I go, and I have fun, because catching up with all these people and hearing what everyone's been up to is really great. Maybe even worth the photo. (No, sorry, it's never worth the photo.)

This year, Mike and Henry opted to stay home (and I'm fully OUT of the business of making people go places they don't want to go  that path only leads to sadness), so it was just me, Liam, and Max representing the Fort contingent. And when I tell you that my boys represented, believe me!

The big draw for the boys was the tournament. Pairs are drawn at random, then they compete in a series of events (this year's events included finger football, cup stacking, and beer pong). At the end, the team with the most points wins the coveted ugly ceramic pig trophies. And this year's winners were Max and Kelsey! I'm so proud that the green pig is coming back home where he belongs. 



Liam and Max also entered a separate tournament for the video game Super Smash Bros. The older cousins thought they could pull a fast one by using a very old version of the game (that is, from when they were playing most, as opposed to the modern version my boys are most familiar with) to give themselves an advantage. I warned them not to underestimate Liam and Max, but they did ... to their peril. The Fort boys dominated and brought home a Mario-themed prize basket.


Anyway, it was a smaller crowd than usual, which is fine with me. I had the chance to talk to a bunch of different people, including Aunt Rita, who always tops my favorite people list. The food was delicious, and a good time was had by all.

No comments: