Saturday, October 29, 2016

one last morning on the water



The kayak rentals at Potato Creek closed after Labor Day weekend, but Chain O' Lakes keeps them open later because the park has a big Halloween celebration, so I have been hoping to find time to go out one last time, and this was it. Liam was more than happy to come with me, even though it meant a very early wakeup call because I had to be home to work in the afternoon. We drove into the sunrise, and as the sky started to streak with the faintest of reds, Liam spent the whole time talking to me. He told me about school, about his friends, about the book he is reading, about his favorite video game. The whole time! Even if we hadn't gone out on the water, having him interested in talking to me for over an hour would have made the whole day pretty great.





But happily, we did get to go out on the water, and we rowed together through passages and across a few lakes that we hadn't seen before. We exchanged greetings with some anglers, but otherwise it was a very quiet morning. We stayed out for two hours, chatting and taking pictures and just generally enjoying ourselves, but then it was time to head home. We got a little wet getting out of the boat (a Nu Canoe), but nobody fell in, and no electronics were damaged, so I call it a very successful morning.




No comments: