Saturday, January 16, 2016

dinner with gramps, part 3

I know you've all been waiting to see how Henry did during his dinner with Gramps, right? Well, I'm happy to report that he was GREAT. We got delayed by a big car accident that closed the road on the way there, and even sitting idle for 20 minutes didn't put him in a bad mood. We went to the local Chinese buffet, and Henry was charming and cheerful. Since it is the weekend of MLK Day, Henry had tons of questions to ask Grandpa about MLK and the civil rights movement in general, and Grandpa was only too happy to accept the challenge. The two of them also bonded over the many different shrimp dishes on offer, and talked about how annoying yet rewarding it is to have to peel them.

At one point, Henry excused himself to use the restroom, and Grandpa turned to me and said, "Well, he's much less HENRY than I expected!" It was a compliment, believe me. Henry made a point of telling Grandpa directly how much he enjoyed getting to have dinner with him and talk to him on the ride home, and Grandpa made a point of telling me that he has enjoyed being able to talk to the boys one on one these past few weeks.

You'll notice that none of these posts have any pictures; I turned my phone off each time so I could just relax and enjoy our dinners together. The boys all decided to forego video games as well, even during the car ride, which, as you may know, is a BIG deal for them. Being connected and entertained is great, but as they say, time with Grandpa is priceless.

No comments: