Monday, February 20, 2012

ice skating (is not the sport for me!)


On Sunday, we piled into the people mover, picked up Klaudia and her friend, and headed off to meet Johnny, Erin, and Lucy at Deep River Water Park for an afternoon of ice skating. Well, most of us had an afternoon of ice skating. It turns out that Henry isn't much of a fan of wearing ice skates, and I wasn't either. I tried, really I did, but once I got those skates strapped on and wobbled my way out the door and worked on it for a few minutes, I still couldn't balance on the damned things, so I decided to take them off rather than break an ankle on my first attempt. It turned out to be a good thing, since I was much more effective at chasing after Henry while wearing street shoes (and there was a *lot* of chasing involved).




Liam and Max picked up right where they left off after skating last year, and were both doing really well on the ice (though there were still more than a few falls). It was Klaudia's first time skating, and not surprisingly since she is a fine athlete with excellent balance (also young, strong ankles!) she took off right away and was doing spins and stuff by the end of the afternoon. Johnny and Erin got lectured by a mean official that they couldn't carry Lucy on the ice, so Erin ended up sort of pushing her along most of the time, which honestly looked exhausting, though Lucy was having fun. After a while, we took a break from skating and headed indoors for some warm food and a chance to chat, then the kids went out for one more round of skating before we all left for home, happy but worn out.





No comments: