Tuesday, September 22, 2009

progress report

Henry spent all weekend on the hated light blanket ... only to see his bilirubin level go up by a point and a half by Monday morning. Sigh. We kept him on the blanket again yesterday/last night, and took him back to the doctor this morning, and he went up a little bit more to 16.8. So now we're under orders to keep him on the blanket until Thursday and feed him as much as possible. Thursday morning, I'll take him in for a weight check and to check his bili level again. And right after that, I have to take him to the fancy schmancy breastfeeding clinic at the hospital so they can figure out if I'm really producing enough milk for him (this is puzzling to me since they want him to gain an ounce per day at this point, and he's gained 12 ounces in the past 7 days, so it seems obvious that he's eating well, but if it makes them happy, then whatever, I'll do it). So that's where we are right now, sort of in limbo while we wait to see if he will get better or worse. The nurse practitioner says the risk of him having to go back to the hospital is low, unless he goes back up into the 20s, so that's some reassuring news. I have some new pictures, but I'm on the wrong computer for that right now, so we'll save them for another post.

No comments: