Friday, December 11, 2020

deadliest days

So this meme has been going around, and the information is as of December 7. Today is December 11, and we already need a new ranking.


Updated rankings:

1. Galveston Hurricane, 1900: 8,000

2. Battle of Antietam, 1862: 3,600

3. Two Days Ago, 12/9, COVID: 3,088

4. Yesterday, 12/10, COVID: 3,067

5. San Francisco Earthquake, 1906: 3,000

6. September 11, 2001: 2,977

7. Thursday, December 3, COVID: 2,861

8. Wednesday, 12/2, COVID: 2,762

9. Three Days Ago, 12/8, COVID: 2,655

10. Friday, 12/4, COVID: 2,439

So six of the 10 deadliest days (yeah, I added one; it bothered me to not stop on an even number) in U.S. history have been from COVID, and have happened in the past 10 days. And just FYI, I did fact-check these numbers. The COVID numbers I added come from the COVID Tracking Project.  

As if that's not terrifying enough, look at this tweet from Dr. Ashish Jah, who is the current dean of the Brown University School of Health and former director of the Harvard Global Health Institute:


Friends, we're in trouble here. Nearly 4,000 people will die on January 1. That's almost half the population of Plymouth ... in one day.

I've been thinking for a while now that it's only a matter of time before I start hearing every day about someone I know personally having COVID. Well, that time is here. Almost every day, I'm hearing that a friend, a relative, someone I went to high school with, or someone I otherwise know personally has been diagnosed with it. In our house, we're waiting for test results (again) for four of us.

And what comes next? Well, now it's probably only a matter of time before someone I know personally dies from it. At least two people I've met have died (we didn't really "know" each other, but this family rented a house from my family years ago, and two members have died in the past few weeks) already. 

And what's our government doing? Oh, right, fucking around asking the Supreme Court to invalidate 20 million votes in four states so Trump can stay in office. And blocking the Biden team from getting useful information that would allow them to actually help Americans. 

We're so screwed.

No comments: