Friday, June 05, 2020

covid diary: day 86


Last night, more peaceful protesters across the country got tear gassed, beaten with batons, flash banged, harassed, and assaulted by the police. I woke up to harrowing videos of the police just attacking people for no damned reason at all, pulling commuters out of their cars and people off their bikes. Kicking people in the face while they sat on the street not resisting at all. In Buffalo, New York, a 75-year-old man wearing a mask approached the police, and before he had time to say anything, an officer shoved him so hard that he lost his balance, fell backward onto the sidewalk, cracking his head (the video had sound, and it was sickening) and losing consciousness. This man lay there bleeding from the head, and the police just looked at him and walked past. DOZENS of police. The last report I saw said the man was in critical condition with a brain injury. The police initially claimed that he tripped and fell, and only when the video was widely shared online did the officer get suspended. THIS is why people are protesting. The police are a militarized force who aren't there to keep the peace but to terrorize the citizenry. They're attacking journalists, legal observers, elected officials, young people, old people, people of every color. They're only making the protests grow in size as more and more people realize how unjust policing is.

Meanwhile, the president gave a press conference today because somehow the unemployment number went down (for white people) in May. I'd like to see the math on how you lose 40 million jobs but somehow unemployment is down, but I guess that's a different story. During his press conference, while talking about the unemployment numbers (let's be clear, that's what he was talking about), Trump said: "Hopefully George [Floyd] is looking down right now and saying this is a great thing that’s happening for our country. This is a great day for him, it’s a great day for everybody. This is a great day for everybody. This is a great, great day in terms of equality."

OK WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS THAT? It's a great day for George Floyd??? On account of more white people have jobs? And even if George Floyd was happy about the unemployment numbers (doubtful, since he had lost his job in the pandemic), he still wouldn't be having a great day on account of him having been murdered by the police. Listen, it's been three and a half years of this president saying terrible things, but this might be the most terrible.

It's the end of another workweek, which I suppose is good. Mike worked this week, but he's laid off again for the upcoming week. Liam is off dog-sitting for Klaudia's dog, Judah, for the weekend. I drove him over there today. I had heard that there were protests here in Plymouth outside the courthouse, so I decided to drive by on my way home and honk my support (I'm not physically going out to protest because of the risk of exposure to COVID-19, but I will happily support anyone who feels that's within their risk tolerance). Look, there were a lot of people out there!


Also there were some counter-protesters across the street displaying their MAGA best. The open shirt, too-small bike, and shitty signs are all very nice touches.


BUT WAIT! I got stopped at the light, and in between honks and people chanting "I can't breathe," I heard someone call my name. I looked, and it was Laura! And Kelsey! And Emma! And Gracie! My honks became extra enthusiastic and I teared up with pride. I texted Laura after I got home to tell her how awesome it was that she was there with the girls. She texted back: "Kelsey, Emma, and Gracie all wanted to go. I think they're growing up with the right values!" I couldn't agree more.


Nationwide cases: 1,898,401. Deaths: 109,137.


No comments: