Monday, May 18, 2020

covid diary: day 68



What's a weekend anymore? It's getting pretty hard to distinguish between weekdays and weekends since we pretty much spend them the same way.

Saturday morning, I went down to the office to work, and Mike went to do the weekly grocery shop. He tried to stop at Lowe's for some plants too, but it was so busy that he ended up leaving without buying anything. He took Henry to Jag's, the little plant nursery down the road from us, where Mike bought tomatoes and peppers, and Henry played with the Rottweilers the owners raise.

In the afternoon, I played pandemic barber again, this time for Henry. He had been growing his hair out, but once he got his helmet, he realized what a pain it is to have his hair in his eyes all the time, so he requested a summer buzz cut. He's never looked more like Mike than he does right now. (Yes, yes, I know. He looks just like me. But his hairline/straight hair is just like Mike's!)



On Sunday, a treat: My aunt Chris took a break from being terrorized at her work job by scowling armed white terrorists, and instead made a family genealogy trivia quiz for us. The rules were pretty simple: She sent the quiz at 2:30, we all had to turn in our answers by 3:00, then we had a family meeting via Google Meet to go over the results. The execution, however, was kind of a mess. She put timers on the quiz questions, and everyone kept running out of time. Also I can't speak for anyone else, but I took my quiz on my phone, and I kept running into a problem with scrolling so I didn't see half of the options for answers. Also ALSO the questions were HARD. Like about my fourth-great-grandparents level hard. Chris took the questions from her ancestry.com account, which has a ton of Gram's old research on it.

Anyway, the result was that only my cousin Jenna even *passed* the quiz, and the rest of us failed. Great job, Jenna! Someday you'll have to tell us your secret. The meeting was fun though, and it was nice to see everyone's faces, even if I had some difficulty with the video part of my AV, and my aunts/uncles/cousins don't know that you should maybe put yourself on mute if you're not talking so everyone doesn't have to hear your TV, background conversations, etc. Laura holds Google Meets all the time for school, and I tried to get her to go into bossy teacher mode and make everyone mute themselves, but she declined.

The only other thing of note that happened this weekend was pandemic baking. I made two yellow cakes on Sunday: one from a mix, and one from scratch. I've never made a cake from scratch before. I mean, why would I, when a mix costs like $2? But I made both cakes, then I did a blind taste-test with all three boys, and for once, there was unanimity: the scratch cake is way better. I may never make another mix cake again. (Ha, don't quote me on that.)

Meanwhile, out in the rest of the country, more than 90,000 people have died. I feel like people are already forgetting the magnitude of this. They're acting like it's all over because the president and/or their governor said it's okay to go back to normal activities again, but the reality is that thousands of Americans are still dying every single day from this, and the curve is still going UP everywhere except the New York metro region. Nobody in power seems real concerned that a lot of those people are elderly folks in nursing homes, or people who work in meatpacking plants, or people who are in prison. It seems like those are acceptable losses to politicians, but they aren't acceptable to me. And knowing what's right but seeing all our elected officials treat right like it doesn't matter is really doing a number on my head.

Nationwide cases: 1,508,957. Deaths: 90,369.


No comments: