Monday, May 11, 2020

covid diary: day 62


Saturday, Mike did the weekly grocery shopping. He texted me in frustration from the store: "They have 15 different cards here for administrative professionals day, but not one single card for mother's day." Sunday morning, I found this little bit of perfection on my desk:





It's definitely a Mother's Day I'll never forget! My family met up at my sister's house Saturday for brunch, but since we haven't seen J or Loni or their families at all during this pandemic, we decided the safest course was probably for us to stay home. We don't want to inadvertently infect them with anything Mike might have picked up at work, and we definitely don't want to pick up anything they might have come into contact with at their jobs. I miss them desperately, but until I know we can all be protected, I think it's best to stay apart.

Saturday afternoon, Mike went out to mow the lawn while I put the finishing touches on my latest Lego bird, the American goldfinch. One of us had more success than the other one did. I finished my bird (isn't he pretty?) but our one-year-old lawn mower had a major pulley malfunction when Mike was in the middle of mowing. So the yard looks a little unbalanced for now, but the part is on order, and hopefully he can replace it and get back out there soon.




Mother's Day itself was very relaxed. I sorted Legos, took a nap, hung out with Mike and the boys, and did absolutely no work. Mike and the boys made me a different style oriole feeder for the backyard, and I can't wait to load it up.

Today it was back to the grind. Happily, a busy day at work so I got a couple extra hours. The state is in the process of reopening, so tomorrow Liam is going to go back to driver's ed to finish his six hours of driving instruction. He and the instructor both have to wear masks and gloves, and the instructor has to disinfect as best he can between students. He drives one-on-one with the instructor, who is also a teacher at the high school, but even this worries me. A treatment or vaccine can't come soon enough.

And all through the weekend, while I was enjoying the quiet with my boys, I was acutely aware that so many people can't do the same. That more than 80,000 of my fellow Americans have died, and the country is a complete chaotic mess. That's the constant backdrop, the thing I couldn't ignore even if I wanted to, the sadness that drags me down even as I can see that my own family is physically safe, at least for now.

Nationwide cases: 1,347,936. Deaths: 80,684.


No comments: