Monday, January 23, 2017

in a fog


I had an appointment at the hairdresser Saturday morning, and as I was driving there, I was admiring the fog and lamenting my lack of time to stop and take pictures of it. It turns out I was in luck, though, because Sunday morning was even foggier! Liam and Henry joined me for a hike, and we decided to try our luck again at Tippecanoe River, or what I like to think of as "Indiana's most neglected state park." In my memory, what I didn't like about our first visit there was the bugs, so I had this idea that we would fare much better in January. I had forgotten, though, that the trail itself wasn't well maintained. Oops. We chose a different trail this time, but had the same result. Parts of it were flooded, which can't really be helped, and there were trees down all over the place. I find the obstacles pretty compelling too, so it wasn't a problem ... until we got to a place that was so extensively flooded that we couldn't even see where the trail picked up on the other side. At that point, we decided to turn back and visit the playground and the river overlooks instead. That turned out to be a winning plan: The boys got to play on the playground in the dense fog, and I got to set up my tripod to take some pictures. I don't want to blaspheme here, but in some ways, Sunday mornings on the trail are my church, and I can only hope that people who go to actual church get the same feeling of rightness that I do in the quiet woods.






 


No comments: