Wednesday, June 29, 2016

out of my comfort zone


The thing about this state parks project is that it has opened us up to a whole lot of new experiences. Not just seeing new places, but trying new things. Mike and I have never been what you would really call "joiners," which I'm sure comes as a shock to precisely no one. But this year we've done things like get up before sunrise to go watch eagles with a bunch of strangers, go on group hikes to see birds and caves, and even take rowboats across a big lake. And today, I added another new thing to my list: kayaking. Bethany, Liam, and I headed to Potato Creek this afternoon, rented kayaks, and set off to explore Worster Lake. And it was really fun! Maybe a little anxiety-making at first because I thought I would tip over or sink or whatever, but after I got used to it, I really, really liked it. And Liam did too! He took to it immediately, paddling off like an expert and exploring all the different features and inlets around the lake. 


We picked a really great day for it too! It was sunny but not too hot, and just a little bit breezy. It was peaceful and not crowded out on the lake, so we could experiment with different paddling techniques and make mistakes without worrying too much about it. Turns out that kayaking is definitely my kind of activity. The only things I found really challenging were that the seat reclined a little too far for me to really be comfortable (though it may have been adjustable and I just didn't realize), and that it's really hard to get out of a kayak. I had read about it in advance (of course I did!) so I realized it would be a challenge, but I guess I didn't anticipate exactly how much of a challenge it would be. Luckily, though, I did anticipate to the extent that I brought a change of clothes, so I didn't have to go home soaking wet. 


And now my head is filled with ideas. I particularly want to go back to Chain o' Lakes now and explore all the little channels and different lakes. Heck, if I could get Mike to go along with that plan, I would do it tomorrow! Or the next day, or the next. But don't worry, readers -- I'm not quite daring/reckless enough to try to do it without at least one other adult present. Yet.





No comments: