Monday, February 07, 2011

dreaming of spring...

Last time I took the boys to get their pictures taken, it was a disaster. It was a couple of weeks before Christmas, and we went on a weeknight with Bethany and Klaudia (one of our goals was to get a picture of all four grandchildren for Christmas for my folks). Really, truly, it was awful. Henry wailed in distrust of the photographer (who, it must be said, really didn't give much of an effort by way of connecting with the kids), Liam scowled and sighed and wouldn't cooperate (though he was the best of the three), and Max faked being sick -- complete with tears! -- so he wouldn't have to get his picture taken.


So it was with great trepidation that I ventured back to the picture place with the boys on Saturday. This time, I was prepared. I took Avalon and Klaudia as backup, so we were playing man-on-man instead of zone defense, as it were. I made them take naps before we left the house. I stopped along the way for some chicken nuggets (even though lunch had been only 90 minutes before) and drinks. We got there early and played. I tried not to display any irritation, even when we had to wait for a long time or the boys bickered. All good things. But the best thing was that we got a different photographer, one who introduced herself to the boys, talked to them, made them comfortable, and asked me what I had in mind. "I don't necessarily want to worry about getting formal posed shots, or about making them smile for every picture," I said. "I think it's more interesting when they're just being themselves." And the photographer, to my great relief, smiled and said "Good!"


And the boys had no problem just being themselves. They spent the next 30 minutes or so taking turns posing for pictures and rummaging through all the props on shelves around the room. When Max was getting his picture taken and Henry wandered by to stand next to him, Liam would jump in to try to get a good one of all three of them together. And vice versa. It was so easy and smooth! And so many great pictures. I am still pretty amazed. And also pretty sure that next time, the pendulum will swing back around. Or could I get this lucky twice? Anyway, these pictures are just a sample. If you want to look at the whole album, go here.



2 comments:

Miss Val said...

These are wonderful! I love them!!!

Anonymous said...

So cute! You have 3 great boys there. You're very lucky.

Debbie A-H