Friday, January 23, 2009

earache my eye

As I may have mentioned, we've all been sick. Last week, we took Max to the doctor for suspected pinkeye. It turned out he had an adenovirus. And then it turned out that we all got it. We were all achy, coughing, feeling miserable. So a few days ago, when Liam told us his ear hurt, we didn't think much of it. ALL of us had earaches. But Liam's earache didn't go away, and yesterday morning, I finally got a flashlight and looked in there. Yes, I do know that you can't see an ear infection that way; I mostly just wanted to make Liam feel like I was doing something in the time we had before the doctor's office opened. So imagine my surprise when I looked, and found that his ear was swollen shut. Yikes! We took him right to the doctor, who had to numb his ear to even get him to let her look at it without screaming. He has the normal eardrum infection, but this time he had the added bonus of having an infection in his ear canal, most likely caused by something getting jammed in there, whether intentionally (a charge Liam denies vehemently) or unintentionally. So he's got two different types of antibiotics for the two infections, and he's feeling much better.

Which brings us to tonight. At dinner, I caught Max sticking a grape in his ear. With probably more anxiety/sharpness in my voice than I should have had, I said, "Max! We do NOT put grapes in our ears!" So my little angel smiled at me, dropped the grape ... and reached around his head to pluck out the grape he had already hidden in his OTHER ear. Oh, dear.

No comments: