Thursday, February 21, 2008

could necessity really be the mother of invention?

Liam's been working on earning himself a trip to the zoo. He gets a sticker for every night that he doesn't poop in his pull-up (i.e. uses the toilet the way he's supposed to). He's currently got 14 of the 15 stickers he needs to earn the trip. [Side note: Yeah, it was a brilliant idea to let him pick the venue! The zoo that's only 30 minutes from us doesn't open for the season until March or April, so to keep our promise, we'll have to haul our little family back to Chicago.]

But tonight there was trouble. That's right, he pooped in his pull-up. Not once, but twice. Which caught me on the hop because we only had two pull-ups left. So after I cleaned him up, I put him in one of Max's diapers (a tight squeeze, but it'll do in a "pinch"). Liam immediately commenced sticking his trembling lower lip out as far as it would go (at which time he looked a LOT like Max!), proclaiming, "I'm not a baby anymore! I don't wear diapers!"

So I gave him a choice: wear a diaper, or wear underwear and go all night without wetting or soiling the bed.

Oh, the way his little face lit up! "I can do it, Mommy! I can wear underwear and get up and use the bathroom when I need to! I'm a big boy!"

This, from a boy who informed me not three hours ago that he's tired of being a big boy because it means you have to stop to go to the bathroom all the time. But he's wearing the underwear, so we'll see how it pans out. I asked Liam, "Won't Daddy be surprised when he comes to get you ready in the morning and sees that you're wearing underwear?" What I didn't add was one way or another, he'll be surprised all right. Heh.

Update: He was dry all night! Repeat, he was dry all night. I really didn't think it was possible, but maybe there's an end to pull-ups in sight!

No comments: