Monday, January 07, 2008

some stormy evening

The boys spent this evening with my parents while I went to CPR training. Liam, who has been waiting patiently for a big thunderstorm, was thrilled with the weather. They spent the night running and playing, and visiting with their aunts and uncle. Bethany and Klaudia just got back from a trip to Disney (which has inspired Liam to nag me every day about when he gets to ride on an airplane again), and the boys were excited to see them. At one point, Liam ran to my dad, grabbed onto his leg, and declared, "Papaw, I just love you so much!" Needless to say, hearts were touched.

But the best part of the night, for me at least, was arriving to pick them up, only to find them cuddled up on the couch with my brother J, reading book after book. They read at least three books while I hung out in the kitchen with my mom, and J was having as much fun as the boys were. It reminds me -- again -- of one of my goals: to help these boys grow into men who aren't afraid of babies. So many men, in my limited experience at least, grow up without much interaction with babies or young children, then find themselves uncomfortable when presented with one. I think it's really something that my nearly 19-year-old brother has never once, even from their infancy, shied away from the boys or hesitated to hold them. My uncles are this way too -- at any family gathering, you can pass a baby into the nearest male hands and know that man and baby will both be happily entertained. Sorry for the ramble, but I just wanted to say that my brother is becoming quite a man, and I hope that my boys can follow his example, at least in this regard.

No comments: