Saturday, January 19, 2008

braving the cold

After breakfast, we set off on a mission. We drove to South Bend intending to get a new hard drive for our computer (after six years, this one is starting to go bad) and use the Meijer gift card Mike got at his company Christmas party. We got the hard drive easily enough, but the boys started fussing while waiting in line. Mike took them out to the car while I made the purchase, and then I really pulled one over on Mike, who is usually not gullible. While we were looking for the hard drive, Mike couldn't find the price, but looking at the other tags he figured it would be somewhere between $128 and $180 (which really beats the cost of a whole new computer). Anyway, I get out to the car, look at Mike, and say, "I sure hope this thing is worth $250." Whereupon Mike gets this panicked look on his face, and I lost my straight face. Luckily for me, when he found out the thing only cost $71, the worst thing he did was flip me the bird.

I had barely stopped laughing when we arrived at Hacienda for lunch. It's not our favorite, but it was nearby and Liam loves eating there because he gets to dip his chips in ranch dressing (a habit he picked up from my mom and sister). Max got into the chip action too, and really wanted his dad to enjoy them as well.



And then it was time for the zoo that was Meijer. SO crowded! I've never been there before, and clearly Saturday afternoon was not the optimal time to go. We got a few things, and then joined the long lines for the checkout. The boys started getting impatient waiting, so I took them over to some benches with the intent of getting them bundled up against the bitter cold and taking them out to the car. But Liam foiled my plan when he spotted some coin-operated riding toys. He really had his heart set on the dinosaur, and it was only a penny for a ride, but neither of us had any change. Luckily, the little girl on the next ride (who was entertaining her little sister while they waited for their parents. Good thinking, Meijer!) gave us a penny. Liam really liked it, and Max realized halfway through that something was going on that he wasn't included in, so I lifted him up behind Liam. No pictures of that part, as my hands were full. Once Mike finally made it through the checkout, we left with a sigh of relief that we'd never have to go back there again...only to realize that we forgot to use the gift card. Doh!

No comments: