Tuesday, December 29, 2015

a portrait of the blogger as a young woman

I mentioned that when Janis found the treasure box, it didn't just contain letters from Gram to Grandma Margaret and Grandpa Walt, but also letters to them from my grandpa, my mom and her siblings, and even me and Bethany. My envelope only had a few letters, and none of them really said anything important, but I love that they saved them. For reasons unknown, in my envelope there was also a picture of me labeled "Holli, Xmas '76," in which I am diapering/powdering a stuffed animal. The picture adds just the right touch of the absurd to the whole thing. So without further ado, here are my letters, the picture, and a newspaper clipping they also saved.



Undated, but I'm guessing circa 1980 since it looks like someone (Laura?) wrote it out for me but I could sign it myself: Dear Grandpa + Grandma, I just wanted to say I love you and please have a happy year. What have you ben doing. I have ben cleaning up the house for mommy for 5 an hour. It's like I'm the maid you can say. Please look at this! I love you Grandpa and Grandma! Love, Holli


Undated (circa 1983?): Dear Grandma and Grandpa, Hi! I wonder what you are doing. Guess what I bought with my Birthday money: two boxes of crayons with a built-in sharpener and pencels and last but not least I went to the arcade and got something to drink. I started doing glossary words. By for now. Love, Holli


1984: Dear Grandma and Grandpa, How are you? I am writing this letter for English. Did you know that today is Friday the 13th? Today at church I saw Great-Grandma Ethel. See you soon (I hope). Love, Holli


1985: Dear Grandpa & Grandma, Hi! How are you? I'm fine. Grandma, did you like your Birthday Card from Bethany, My Mom, and I? I hope you did. Oh, no! School starts the 3rd of September. I can't wait. How are you doing? I'm staying at Gram Jeffirs's house this week because Mom is in Fort Wayne for negotiations. Greg is still staying with us, in answer to your question. Guess what? Our softball team got 3rd place! We beat the #1 team!!! We get ribbons! Laura's team got 1st place in A League! She gets a ribbon and a trophy! Bethany got 2nd place in C League!!! She gets a ribbon. Well gotta go now. Bye. Love, Holli 


Undated (early 1986?): Dear Grandma and Grandpa, How are you? I'm fine. Guess what? I only had 2 b's on my report card! And 4 cr's. The rest are all A's! I hope I'll see you soon. I miss you very, very much. Love, Holli
P.S. Please write back.


Pilot News, November 8, 1984: Washington School fourth grader Holli Phend was the first student to reach the Century Club mark in the reading program at the school. Holli read over 6,000 pages to meet the requirement for the Century Club. Students join the club by reading either 100 books or 6,000 pages during the school year. 


No comments: