Sunday, June 16, 2013

happy father's day!

This morning, Mike slept in while the boys and I went to a Father's Day breakfast at my parents' house. On the drive over, while Max and Henry watched a movie in the back, Liam and I talked about all the things he loves about his dad. Here is his top five list, in the order that he gave it (although he wanted to be clear that he was doing a top five because he couldn't narrow it down to just one thing he loves the best).

1. He plays catch with me all the time.
2. He teaches me about gardening.
3. He pitches to me so I can do batting practice.
4. He tells me all the time that I am tall and strong and smart.
5. He gets up every morning to drive us to school even though he is tired from working late.

Being a parent is hard work, and Mike (like every other parent!) worries sometimes that he is not doing it as well as he can be. But I think it's pretty telling that the things his son has to say about him are about how his dad spends a lot of time with him doing things they love together and makes him feel good about who he is. In my book, that means he's doing it exactly right. Happy Father's Day, Mike!

No comments: