Thursday, May 12, 2011

deus ex marlene, or a mother's day tale

Wednesday was the deadline for a side project I took on that turned out to be truly ludicrous in its time requirements. Seriously, readers, you will all be sad to know that I took the unprecedented step of skipping Mother's Day to instead devote 16 hours to work while Mike and the boys planted seeds, played on the playground with Charlie, and flew Mike's remote control helicopter. Anyway, by Tuesday night, the ticking of the clock was unbearably loud, and I resigned myself to pulling an all-nighter to get the thing done.

Then, out of nowhere, a text arrived from my lovely and talented (and did I mention lovely?) mother, with the magic words: "Do the boys have any plans for tonight?" As it happened, no, they didn't have plans, so my mom picked them up from school/daycare and took them all to the park for a chicken picnic, thus freeing me up for an extra few hours of productive work. And listen, she really is a saint for doing it: It was 90 degrees on Tuesday, and she chased after three very active boys for a very long time.

So the boys came home, exhausted and happy. And my mom went home, no doubt just as exhausted. And I got to meet my deadline AND get some sleep Tuesday night. And that's the miracle of my mom: Not just that she was willing and able to help out with the boys, but that I didn't even have to ask.

And that's what it's all about. Happy belated Mother's Day, Mom! You really, really, really are the best.

No comments: