Monday, December 14, 2009

the most wonderful time of the year

Early last week, I got a text from my mom with these magical words: "Are the boys free on Saturday night?" How could I have forgotten?? Saturday night was THE night, the one that only comes around once a year: The boys go to a Christmas party with my parents at my dad's (and brother's!) fire station, and Mike and I get to go out to eat. Alone! Seriously, people, it's like a Christmas miracle every year!


Liam and Max were on pretty rocky ground behavior-wise before we left the house for the party. And by "pretty rocky," I mean that on the way to my parents' house, I told them that if they didn't choose to be good for the entire night, they would go nowhere but school and home for the rest of the year, and they wouldn't be able to watch movies in the people mover for the rest of the year, either (that's the one that really gets them). Luckily for them, they decided to be little angels and play nicely with all the other kids at the party. As a reward (right, like they wouldn't have gotten them anyway!), they got gifts from Santa. Liam got Connect 4, Max got an ambulance, and Henry scored some cool stacking blocks for when he finally learns how to grab things. And all three of them were fine sitting on Santa's lap, which was a first.


As for the grown-ups, we headed to Valpo to Kelsey's Steak House, where we enjoyed a leisurely dinner (complete with appetizer!) and a lot of conversation. Amazingly, most of it wasn't even about the kids! I guess we DO still have things to talk about after all this time...


But lo, the miracles continue! My sister Avalon was kind enough to agree to watch the boys this coming Saturday night so we can go out for my birthday. That's two unprecedented weeks in a row with dinner out (at least the kind that doesn't come in a bag or a box). Now, Mike just has to find a good place and make a reservation.

No comments: