Monday, March 30, 2009

lucky

I am 34 years old, and I've been told many times (and expect to hear many times over the coming days) how lucky I am to have had my grandmother in my life for so long. I absolutely know this to be true, and it's a fact that I'm hanging onto today. Gram died last night, and all day I've been reminding myself of how lucky I've been, not just that our lives have overlapped for so long, but that she was the grandmother I got. I could give you a million different examples of her bravery, compassion, and unwavering belief, but I'll save that for another time; instead, you'll just have to believe me when I say there's no better example than hers that I could follow.

This blog is, above all things, a love letter to my boys, who can't fully grasp what's going on now, so I'll tell them here now what I'll be telling them when they can understand: Your "Grandma Okie" was an extraordinary woman. I hope you will remember her, but if you don't, I'll hold the memories for you. She was kind and beautiful and funny, and yes, we were so lucky to have had her in our lives.

Gram's obituary can be found here.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

I'm late in seeing this just now, but I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman. And 12 kids! Wow! She leaves behind quite the legacy.